What Causes Itchy Skin
Itchy skin, also known as pruritus, can be caused by various factors, including dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, insect bites, allergies, and certain medical conditions such as liver or kidney disease. Certain medications, such as opioids and chemotherapy, can cause itchy skin. In some cases, the cause may be unknown. It is important to consult a healthcare provider if the itchiness is severe, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms such as redness, rash, or swelling.
Many Potential Causes of Itchy Skin
There are many potential causes of itchy skin, including:
- Skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and hives
- Infections such as scabies, ringworm, and candida
- Dry skin
- Allergies, including food allergies and allergic reactions to products such as soap, laundry detergent, and cosmetics
- Parasitic infestations, such as lice or bed bugs
- Certain medications, including opioids, antidepressants, and blood pressure drugs
- Hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy or menopause
- Medical conditions such as liver or kidney disease, anemia, and thyroid disorders
- Cancer and other malignancies
- Stress and anxiety
It’s important to note that the cause of itchy skin may not be known in some cases. It is important to consult a healthcare provider to determine the cause and appropriate treatment if the itchiness is severe, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms.
Allergic Conditions that Cause Skin Rashes
The skin is the largest organ in the human body, serving as the most external barrier that protects our system. That is why skin rashes can have many origins and be the symptoms of different things. One of the most common causes of skin rashes is allergic reactions.
These can take form in several different ways. All of which vary in how they are represented on the skin. Those are what we’re going to be differentiating today. The American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) listed the most common allergic skin conditions.
Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive and Irritated Skin
- Alleviate occasional skin discomfort and itching caused by dryness from the elements with a highly moisturizing cream developed for sensitive skin.
- Use this face and body lotion on dry, cracked skin to strengthen the skin’s natural barrier against irritants and nature’s harsh elements.
- Mother of All Creams quickly absorbs to form a hydrating skin barrier that safeguards against the elements and irritating agents that cause rashes. This daily moisturizing cream for sensitive skin is gentle enough for children above five and safe for long-term use.
- Experience smooth, soft, and calm skin with 13 skin-nourishing ingredients from nature, including ancient skin care secrets such as honey, shea butter, and aloe vera.
- Rejuvenating amaranth and jojoba oil deeply penetrate to renew and revitalize dry, rough, irritated skin.
- Dry skin is uncomfortable and itchy. This itch relief cream is a superior skin-soothing lotion that easily absorbs into the most stubborn places – hands, knees, elbows, and scalp.
- Smooth it all over your body for instant relief and hydration without worrying about leaving an oily residue behind.
Also known as Eczema, according to the Mayo Clinic, it is by far the most predominant skin problem in the world. It is more predominant in children than in adults. 1 in 5 infants suffers from it, while only 1 in 50 adults has been diagnosed.
Specialists believe the inability to retain humidity in the skin makes it more vulnerable to irritation and inflammation caused by external agents, such as pollen.
Moreover, almost half of the severe atopic dermatitis cases have been linked to a faulty filaggrin gene. So, there are not many people who can do to prevent it.
Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Eczema Lotion
- Specially formulated to stop the itchiness, dryness & redness associated with eczema, the moisturizing formula helps heal the skin.
- The strongest itch medicine you can get without a prescription, this lotion features 7 moisturizers plus Restora, a botanical & vitamin complex specifically for eczema-affected skin.
- Cortizone-10 products include skin cremes, ointments, gels & sprays featuring healing treatments specifically formulated for children, diabetics, eczema sufferers & feminine relief.
- Hydrocortisone works by blocking enzymes & mediators triggered by skin irritation & constricting the blood vessels to reduce swelling & redness on the skin & provide relief.
- Cortizone 10 anti-itch creams, ointments, gel, & lotions offer temporary relief from rashes & itching due to poison ivy, poison oak, sumac, insect bites, eczema, psoriasis & more.
- Dermatologist Recommended and Clinical Strength with 7 Intensive Moisturizers
- Relieves Symptoms of Eczema such as Itchy Skin, Dry Skin; Redness Inflammation, Flakiness, and Rashes
- #1 pharmacist recommended for eczema care and relief
- Contains Restora – a botanical and vitamin complex designed specifically to soothe and help heal eczema-affected skin
Allergic Contact Dermatitis
When most of us think of skin allergies, we think of allergic contact dermatitis. In this case, touching an allergen, such as nickel, will trigger an immediate negative reaction in the form of rashes, itchiness, or swollen skin.
According to the Mayo Clinic, some poison plants secrete substances that can have the same effects, even if you are not allergic to them. Poison ivy and poison oak are two well-known examples.
Colloquially known as hives, this condition results from the immune system releasing histamine. The latter causes blood vessels to leak, which, in turn, causes skin swelling. It is known that some foods, exercise, heat, medication, insect bites, infections, and other external elements can trigger the hives.
Some people suffer from the chronic version of this skin condition for months or even years. Even though it looks bad and uncomfortable, it is not contagious.
Calazime Skin Protectant Paste Cream
This skin problem is similar to urticaria because it results from deep-layer skin inflammation. Most of the time if you have one, chances are you have the other. According to the AAAAI, a negative reaction to meditation and food is the main cause of acute angioedema. However, the chronic version of this disease usually doesn’t have identifiable causes.
It is important not to mistake this for hereditary angioedema (HAE). The latter refers to a serious skin condition that causes inflammation in the face, hands, feet, and other body parts. Regular treatment is usually ineffective, and those who suffer from it need the help of a specialist.
Skin rashes of this variety are subject to different types of medication. However, it would be best to remember to avoid any self-medication mode. In this case, it would be best to trust a medical professional to help you identify the roof of the problem.