Use A Rowing Machine For Fitness and Weight Loss
Rowing machine workouts are a superb way to lose weight and get those pounds down. This can be done either in the comfort of your own home or at a local gym. If you can afford to purchase a good quality rowing machine there is no reason you cannot enjoy the benefits of rowing from the comfort of your own home.
A rowing machine is a great indoor exercise machine. The best way to describe an exercise machine is that it allows you to do exercises without having to leave the house. This is because the machine is portable and easy to store away when not in use.
It also helps to keep you fit and healthy since it provides a great workout for your body. If you are interested in purchasing a rowing machine to build a home gym, there are plenty of options out there.
Maybe a rowing machine is not your first choice. If that is so there are plenty of alternatives out there. Be aware that cheap options in any of these choices normally end up in a cupboard full of dust after a couple of weeks use.
Personally I normally buy items that are around $1000 or more, and when I decide I need a change I can still get a reasonable price for my 2nd hand equipment, PLUS it is not sitting in a cupboard or garage collecting dust, and the money returned can go towards the new toy.
You can choose between a stationary bike, treadmill, rowing machine, elliptical trainer, cross-trainer or even a recumbent bike. There are also various types of fitness equipment such as weight machines, strength training devices, cardio machines, etc.
There are also some benefits associated with these machines. For instance, you can burn calories while exercising. These machines help to improve your cardiovascular system, increase muscle mass and tone, and strengthen your bones.
They also help to reduce stress levels and lower blood pressure. In addition, they provide a great workout for your entire body.
Rowing and Weight Loss
- Total Body Exercise
- Fast and Efficient
- Quality Training
- Easy Motivation
- Look and Feel Better
Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- Low impact workout that engages all major muscle groups; work legs, core and arms with a smooth, high calorie-burning motion
- Track your progress with real-time reliable data; the Performance Monitor 5 (included) self-calibrates for comparable results; connect wirelessly to heart rate belts and apps (not included)
- Designed to fit most users: 14-inch seat height, adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle
- Separates easily into two pieces for storage; caster wheels make it mobile; easy to assemble with only eight screws. Space Recommendations- Assembled- 8 ft x 2 ft (244 cm x 61 cm). For Storage- 25 in x 33 in x 54 in (63. 5 cm x 83. 8 cm x 137. 2 cm)
The Concept 2 Rowing Machine Basics
Having owned a Concept 2 rowing machine for a number of years, and through having one in our training facilities at work I can honestly say that a rowing machine is a great piece of kit, and a concept 2 rowing machine is regarded as the best rowing machine out there.
Rowing is not easy. If you are considering buying a rowing machine you should seriously go to a gym first and test one out. I am a member of a local gym here and hand on heart can say that the rowing machine is not top priority for most people looking to get fit.
Most will go straight to the jogging machine and cross trainers. These are by far the most popular ways to train.
We have 2 concept 2 rowing machines in our gym. You can always get onto a rowing machine. We have 3 jogging machines and six cross training machines. You are not guranateed to get onto one of these, especially in rush hour gym time.
So personally, as much as I love rowing I would buy a cross trainer if I was looking to have a new trainer at home. Look for a compact version. Be aware that a concept 2 costs around $1200 to buy. A quality cross trainer will set you back around $5000. That is a big difference.
- Designed to fit most users: 14-inch seat height, 500lb user capacity, adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle. Users with an inseam of 38 inches (96.5 cm) or more may require an extra-long monorail.
- Low impact workout that engages all major muscle groups; work legs, core and arms with a smooth, high calorie-burning motion.
- Track your progress with real-time reliable data; the Performance Monitor 5 (included) self-calibrates for comparable results; connect wirelessly to heart rate belts and apps (not included).
- Separates easily into two pieces for storage; caster wheels make it mobile; easy to assemble with only eight screws.
Rowing Machine Workouts To Lose Weight
Finding The Right Rowing Program For You
This 1st rowing program may not be for everybody as it uses weights as well as rowing. This is more of a total body workout, which is just as effective as a rowing workout for weight loss, but will also keep the muscles in trim.
With that in mind the 1000 meter sprint as fast as you can if done correctly will have you falling off the seat as this will have your heart rate at max straight from the word go. If you know anything about HIIT training, this is an excellent way to burn calories long after you have finished exercising.
A Quality Rowing Machine worth a look!
- 【Super Quiet Rowers】Magnetic resistance system create an unbelievably smooth and nearly silent rowing, YOSUDA rowing exercise machine is very suitable for indoor exercise. It will NEVER disturb the families or roommates and virtually no maintenance requested.
- 【Full-Body Muscle Workout】According to scientific reports,rowing machines engages 90% muscle groups;work legs, core and arms with a smooth, high calorie-burning motion. Perfect for rehabilitative treatment,weight-loss,body-shape,strength training ,etc.
- 【Sufficient Resistance for all Fitness Levels】Our rower machine is equipped with a 10lbs flywheel and 8 level resistance,which provides double resistance levels than the ordinary rowing machine. All stages exerciser can get efficient exercise with different resistance, no matter you are beginner or professionals.
- 【Support 350 lb & 6'6''in Height】Our rowing mahcines are made of heavy-duty commercial quality steel,which is very sturdy and durable.The 49.2-inch slide length fits almost all users. The ergonomic seat is very comfortable and soft.
- 【Large Monitor and Tablet Holder】The easy-to-read LCD monitor clearly displays your distance,rowing time, count, total count and calories. You can put the phone or Ipad on the holder to enjoy the videos or music.
Choosing a Rowing Machine
Rowing machines come in many shapes and sizes and can be different in feel and performance. An ERG machine or a Concept 2 rowing machine is a perfect rower for those who are keen on rowing to lose weight but are not interested in joining a gym.
However, just finding the right machine can be a challenge. Looking on either eBay or Amazon should help you find a good quality machine. I would recommend a concept 2 or a water rower as they have both been around for years, and are by far the most reliable.
If possible, try to buy the best quality rowing machine you can afford. Cheap rowing machines give no feeling when you use them, and you will soon get bored with them. They normally get used a dozen times before they end up in the cellar or garage.
- Gravel Biking
- Road Cycling
- Mountain Biking
- Inline Skating
- Indoor Rowing
- Cross Machine
WaterRower Classic Rowing Machine in Black Walnut with S4 Monitor
- Handcrafted rowing machine with "water flywheel" that replicates actual rowing feel. MADE IN USA.
- Flywheel sits in enclosed water tank to provide smooth, quiet, self-regulated resistance.
- Series 4 performance monitor tracks workout intensity, stroke rate, duration, distance, and more.
- Solid ash and stained honey oak construction absorbs sound and vibration. 1000 lb weight capacity.
- Stores upright. Assembled dimensions 84"L x 22"W x 21"H. Weight 73 lbs (dry) / 117 lbs (with water).
The water rower is a quality piece of kit that has been around for years. The rowing machine is designed so that when you row you actually hear and see the water moving inside the container below your feat. This is relaxing and aids in your rowing style.
- Handcrafted rowing machine with “water flywheel” that replicates actual rowing feel
- Flywheel sits in enclosed water tank to provide smooth, quiet, self-regulated resistance
- Series 4 performance monitor tracks workout intensity, stroke rate, heart rate, and more
- Solid black walnut construction absorbs sound and vibration; hand finished in Danish oil
- Stores upright; measures 84 x 21 x 22 inches (W x H x D) and weighs 117 pounds
From the list above you have an endless choice of quality exercises to improve the cardiovascular system by working out. By working out correctly you will burn calories. For every calorie, you burn you are helping towards a goal of dropping your weight.
The best way to monitor this is to keep a logbook, or if you are lucky enough to have a decent model rowing machine with a PM3 or PM4 monitor, log every meter you row online against fellow competitors.
By being able to log your project online you find that this alone is excellent motivation for you to train. Training against other competitors helps to motivate, and will keep you coming back for more.
Before you know it 3 or 4 weeks will have passed and you will feel better from your rowing efforts. Not everyone has the money available for a gym membership these days, so if you have the funds available, having a rowing machine at home is a great solution.
Any weight loss will not come easily unless you show determination and watch what you eat. It would be pointless to row 5000 meters and then find that you have a hunger pang and need to fill it with a large Kentucky or a pizza. Diet is as important as the training if you want to lose calories.
To be successful in our goal we have to look at what we want to achieve realistically. Just by training alone we can achieve what we want and burn calories. But depending on how many calories you consume compared to how many calories you burn in a day may show you that you have not done enough.
That is why it is important to check what we eat each day. You will soon learn how to keep the calories under what we burn. Carbohydrates, protein, fat, water, food, meals, all come together here.
By counting the amount of carbs we have in our diet and making a note when we start our rowing project we will soon be able to learn exactly what is 500 grams of pasta, or what foods contain to much fat, or how much protein a tin of tuna fish contains.
Once we have mastered this we can put together some excellent meals that will count towards the goal. You can still eat your chocolate, and biscuits, just make sure you note how many calories and fat each contains, and add it to your daily intake, to give you the time you need to workout to burn the calories.
Before you train, consider a good quality meal you could make for later that contains little junk, and has a good amount of energy and nutrition built into it. Any form of pasta meal would be ideal, or a rice meal. You need food that is slow burning and good for the diet. The ideal way of eating is five to six meals a day.
Burn-XT Thermogenic Fat Burner
Setting Up Your Rowing Machine Workouts Equipment
If you have purchased a rowing machine and have set it up correctly, you will now be ready to use it. By setting it up for your frame you should feel comfortable when you use it. If you are thinking of doing over 20 minutes on your machine, make sure you have a drink close by.
Weekly Training Package
By putting together a weekly training package you will monitor what rowing training you are doing and keep a solid record of your work. This will enable you to check your progress and see how you are improving.
When first starting out with a rowing to lose weight plan, start slowly. Do not do too much when you first begin. By beginning slowly you will allow your body clock time to adjust to this new feature. Rowing is an aerobic exercise that will test your heart and lungs.
If you have done no form of rowing activities before or are just beginning, you will feel the body pulling into shape. Make sure you keep your back straight and allow the arms and legs to do the pulling and pushing.
Your chest should be expanded and your breathing controlled. You will feel the arm and leg muscles working, along with the lungs and your cardio system.
Watch the monitor and check your rowing pace for what the machine shows as your row rate per 500 meters. An above average row is around 500 meters in 2 minutes. If you are overweight or just starting out, you will be lucky to match this.
For Rowing Machine Beginners
For beginners who are trying to lose weight, I would start at around 2.30 minutes for 500 meters.
This should be a nice steady pace you can keep going for a good 20 minutes. try to keep your workouts in a steady routine for the first few weeks until you build up a steady program and feel confident on the rower.
A chest belt from Garmin or Polar is worth its weight in gold if you are taking your rowing seriously. The last thing you want is to be in the red when you start off. By going off to quickly you can be in the wrong fat zone and doing yourself more harm than good.
As you progress and your fitness improves, your strength will improve almost weekly. As you spend more time on the rower your heart and lungs won’t feel the pain as quickly as they first did. Your grip on the bars will improve and you will try different techniques and different workouts.
When you feel ready, go online and look for challenges that will motivate you. With the concept 2 rower there are thousands of people online each and everyday worldwide looking for a challenge.
Look at Facebook for rowing projects and join one. This can also give you motivation. If you are looking to buy a rowing machine, I would strongly recommend the Concept 2 Rower. It is by far the best on the market.
It can be bought online from Amazon. It is slightly more expensive than one bought from a large supermarket or a catalogue, but the benefits are huge. You would also get a good amount of your cash back at a later date if you sell it, unlike the catalogue ones which end up at the back of your garage as no one wants them second hand.
A lot of rowing machines end up in the spare room stuck against a wall because the owner found it too hard, or the machine was not good enough. Try to check out the rowing machine before you buy one. That way you should have no excuses when it comes to putting your rowing to lose weight project together.
Rowing is great for losing weight. However, like all things in life you need to be serious about it. It is not the easiest of sports and anyone considers rowing should try before they buy.
For all round body fitness though, rowing is hard to beat as you are using most of your major muscles at any one time. Not only will you burn fat, you will also increase your physical condition, and help towards a good physical shape.
Rowing is a good all round sport and well worth considering for anyone serious about burning fat. I have a great interest in sports and keeping fit.
I am now over
50 60 and have dropped from 87 kilos to 80 kilos in less than 8 months. That is 1 (just 1) kilo a month. If you are interested more in rowing look at Rowing Machine Reviews for Rowing Machine advice.
Rowing Workout 1: HIIT Sprints (30/30r in Concept 2 menu) If you’re short on time, these high-intensity intervals will give you a quick sweat fix.
Improve your strength and explosive power in just 20 minutes (not including warm-up or cool down). You’ll burn roughly 300 calories in total
If you are a beginner and have not done a great deal of cardio efforts for some time, make sure you consult your doctor before starting your fitness training. Your health is very important, and your heart may not be ready for heavy physical exercise straight off the bat.
A bmi check, and a check of your weight is always recommended before you begin. This is also a great motivator if you can actually see that you are overweight.
|Waterrower Rowing machine Ash||Prime||Buy Now|
|Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower w/LCD Monitor||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||MARNUR Water Rowing Machine for Home Portable Double Track Water Resistance Rower with Large Multifunctional LCD Monitor & Wide Seat Cushion for Men and Women||Prime||Buy Now|
|Schwinn Crewmaster Rowing Machine, gray, One Size||Prime||Buy Now|
|ECHANFIT Rowing Machine Foldable Indoor Rower w/LCD Monitor with 16 Levels Silent Magnetic Belt System and Adjustable Console Angle for Cardio Exercise Workout at Home and Studio||Prime||Buy Now|
|GYMAX Water Rowing Machine, Water Rower with Adjustable Resistance & LCD Display, Easy-Transportation Rower for Whole Body Exercise Cardio Training (Water Resistance)||Prime||Buy Now|
|MaxKare Magnetic Rowing Machine Folding Exercise Rower 16-Level Tension Resistance Precise Display Panel with Storage Box Quite for Home Use||Prime||Buy Now|
|Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Bluetooth Magnetic Rower Rowing Machine with Extended Optional Full Body Exercises and Free App||Prime||Buy Now|
|Vilobos Rowing Machine Heavy Duty Wooden Rower with Water Resistance Adjustable LCD Display Monitor for Body Exercise Training in Home Gym (Oak)||Prime||Buy Now|