Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Garmin Heart Rate Monitors Money Can Buy
The Best Garmin Heart Rate Monitors Money Can Buy
The Garmin Cycle Computer the Edge 705 Heart Rate Monitor and bike specific tool has been around for several years now and been replaced by the Garmin Edge 800, which itself is due for replacement. (Garmin Edge 810 released January 2013, and a Garmin 820, and the Garmin 1030 released 2018).
The Garmin Edge 705 HRM unit itself is small, sturdy, lightweight, and very easy to install. The software includes a training program and a mapping program. I bought mine with the Garmin map card, and that’s made my club rides a real pleasure (no need for cue sheets).
When I get home from a ride, I upload the data into the Garmin Training Center software or Strava.com and I can compare every aspect of the ride to previous rides (distance, speed, cadence, heart rate, elevation, etc.). If I feel like it, I’ll upload the ride onto the Garmin Connect webpage.
I can’t say enough good stuff about this GPS/bike computer. I haven’t used it to figure out routes from Point A to Point B, but I can see where that would be a tough task for any system (how to choose safe bike routes from among the many alternatives?).
The Garmin Edge 705 is one of the best GPS units I have ever owned. The unit was easy to mount ( I have mounted it on both of my bikes), and can also be used in a car. It’s easy to set up, has multiple display settings to customize how you see your workout or current location.
There are many choices on what is viewed in the screen from 1 to 8 screens. Garmin has a free downloadable program to upload your data and maps. The price I had paid at Amazon was one of the lowest prices I have seen. I would highly recommend this unit for anyone who spends time
The Garmin Edge 800 has now replaced the Garmin Edge 705 and is normally as cheap if not cheaper to get hold of, making it a bit of a bargain. Out now is the Garmin Edge 1030 HRM which is the new bells and whistles Garmin Heart Rate Monitor. This is currently around the $700 mark, so only for those who are not faint-hearted.
This makes the Garmin Edge 705 something worth looking at (or 800 if cheaper) if you are looking for a tool that has many useful functions and which is recognized by most of the cycling websites that monitor your fitness. They are a superb piece of kit and are well thought of in the cycling world.
You can get a Garmin edge mount from eBay for peanuts for either your road or mountain bike and use it for both.
Garmin Edge Explore 820 High Resolution GPS Bike Computer
- HIGH-RESOLUTION TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY – Lightweight and compact with 2.3-inch high-resolution capacitive touch display that works with gloves and when wet
- GROUPTRACK – Keep in touch with other riders in your pack with Group Track: You can see where your fellow riders are -offering peace of mind and enhanced situational awareness
- NAVIGATION FEATURES – Preloaded Garmin Cycle Map for turn-by-turn navigation. Includes round-trip Course Creator and on-device course planning
- CONNECT IQ – Download free custom apps and data fields
- BATTERY LIFE – New extended battery life for longer, more adventurous rides. Up to 15 hours; Battery Save mode will extend battery life up to 50% while still tracking the detail of your ride
Garmin Edge 520 Plus
- Advanced GPS bike computer for competing and navigation
- Features advanced navigation, including new rider alerts and the pre loaded Garmin cycle map with turn by turn directions on and off road
- Preloaded Strava Live Segments let you compete second by second with your previous best or another rider’s PR; see real time results right on your screen
- Stay connected with your compatible smartphone using LiveTrack and Group Track, smart notifications, rider to rider messaging and built in Incident Detection
- Monitors cycling specific Vo2 Max and recovery time when used with option power and heart rate monitors
Garmin Edge 1030 Cycle Bundle
- [GARMIN EDGE 1030] – Garmin Edge 1030 GPS Bike Computer, Garmin Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor, Bike Mounts (Standard & Extended), Speed & Cadence Sensors, USB Cable & Tether
- [PLAYBETTER CYCLE BUNDLE] – PlayBetter Protective Silicone Case (Black) & PlayBetter HD Tempered Glass Screen Protectors for Edge 1030 (2-Pack)
- [ADVANCED CYCLE METRICS & TRENDLINE POPULARITY ROUTING] – Using the heart, speed & cadence sensors, the Edge 1030 provides the most advanced data metrics in the cycle market | Gathers the most popular paths cyclists using the Garmin Connect app have used and displays it right on the device. This lets users find the best on-and-off routes for their ride!
- [PRE-LOADED MAPS & NAVIGATION] – Turn-by-turn navigation and new navigation alerts that notify you of upcoming sharp turns
- [PERFECT BUNDLE] – The additional sensors will take your data collection to the next level while our PlayBetter Silicone Protective Case & HD Tempered Glass Screen Protectors will keep your Edge 1030 looking brand new!
Garmin Heart Rate Monitor Good Points
- Is universally recognized by most sports websites that monitor your fitness training
- Build quality is excellent
- Easy to download information
- Easy to build your own maps and upload them
- Superb list of facts displayed on the LCD screen for you to view
- Easy to transfer from bike to bike
- Back light for use in dark conditions
- Lap Timer
- Stop and start
- Reroute if you get lost and need to backtrack
- Two different screens that you can flick through with up to 8 functions on each screen
- Great battery life
- Easy to read
- Micro Sd Card(Tm) Slot For Adding Map Detail & Storing Workouts, Courses & Saved Rides
- Automatically Measures Speed, Distance, Time, Calories Burned, Altitude, Climb & Descent
- Sunlight-Readable Color Display
- GPS-Enabled Cycle Computer
- Features A High-Sensitivity Receiver That Holds A Signal Under Trees & Near Tall Buildings
- Garmin Edge 705 Software is available from Garmin.com
Using External Websites
One of the bonuses of buying a Garmin instead of a Suunto t6d or a Polar FT80 is the fact that it is universally recognized by almost every website that has some form of integration that allows you to download or upload information about your training. This is vital if you want a good analysis of what you are doing.
Some of the websites that I talk about are:
A website for cyclists and runners alike. This website works with the iPhone and Garmin products and allows you to go out and do a cycle ride or a run, and then upload your information directly to their website.
It will then show your route on a map that you have done, and give you other factors like speed, time, calories, distance, etc. It’s the biggest bonus though if you are serious about your fitness training is the fact that it allows you to build up climbs on your routes and shows you climb that others have put in.
It then shows you your times compared against others who have climbed it. This is a great motivator and one that makes you want to ride that climb again if only to better your own time, or try to beat someone else’s.
On top of this, if your time is the best you are classed as king of the mountain.
Not quite up to the standard of Strava if you are into your cycling, but a great place to download and update your maps.
Garmin 705 Heart Rate Monitor
This is the heart rate monitor that I recommend. Not only is it a superb piece of kit that you can use on any bike you won, but it is also compatible with Strava.com which enables you to track every single mile or kilometer that you pedal, and compete against others who cycle the same routes as you.
Some other route software
A Full Selection of Garmin Heart Rate Monitors
|Garmin Edge 520 Plus Speed and Cadence Bundle, GPS Cycling/Bike Computer for Competing and Navigation, Includes Additional Sensors/Heart Rate Monitor||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS, Features GLONASS and Galileo, Heart Rate Monitoring and 3-axis Compass, Lakeside Blue||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, GPS Running Watch with Garmin Pay Contactless Payments, Wrist-Based Heart Rate and Music, Rose Gold||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin vívoactive HR GPS Smart Watch, Regular fit - Black||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar, Premium Multisport GPS Watch with Solar Charging, features Mapping, Music, Grade-Adjusted Pace Guidance and Pulse Ox Sensors, Dark Gray with Black Band||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Edge 130 Mountain Bike Bundle, Compact and Easy-to-use GPS Cycling/Bike Computer, Includes Mountain Bike Mount||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Edge 1030, 3.5" GPS Cycling/Bike Computer with Navigation and Connected features||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Edge 1030 Cycle Bundle | w/Chest HRM, Speed/Cadence Sensors, PlayBetter Silicone Case & Screen Protectors | Bike Mounts | GPS Bike Computer (+Bundle, Black Case)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Garmin Edge Explore - Touchscreen Touring Bike Computer with Connected Features, 010-02029-00||Prime||Buy Now|