A Beautiful Piece of Equipment – BUT the PRICE?
The 2019 road racing season may be over, but things are still heating up on the tech front. Spotted at the Saitama Criterium in Japan were early samples of SRAM’s revamped 2019 SRAM Red eTap wireless road groupset, and there’s a lot to see:
- New 12-speed cassette
- One-piece machined aluminum double chainring
- Updated lever ergonomics
- Clutched rear derailleur
12 sprockets and downsized chainrings
The biggest news is that SRAM joins Campagnolo on the 12-speed cassette train. But whereas Campagnolo has concentrated on tightening the gaps between each ratio, SRAM is going for the total range by utilizing a 10T small sprocket.
One tooth may not sound like much, but it’s a big deal regarding percentages. Whereas a current Red 11-28T cassette comprises a 255% range, the new 10-28T boosts that to 280% (which is more than what you get out of an 11-30T).
To accommodate that 10T sprocket, SRAM will finally implement on a wide basis the XDr freehub body that was quietly introduced in 2017. XDr is similar to the XD body that SRAM uses for its 12-speed Eagle mountain bike cassettes but with a 1.8mm-wider format (Eagle’s huge inner sprockets can be cantilevered out over the drive side spoke flange, which isn’t possible with a road-sized cassette).
Thankfully, the total body width is shared with other modern freehub standards, so hub compatibility shouldn’t be a big issue.
To save you the trouble of counting sprockets or teeth, SRAM has conveniently laser-etched the specs on the back of the new 12-speed 2019 Red eTap cassette.
It’s worth mentioning at this point that SRAM has not officially confirmed nor denied that there is an official SRAM Red eTap 12 Speed Groupset on its way. Any of this and all of the above is wholly based on what can be gleaned from images of sponsored riders’ bikes out in the wild.
The post-2019 SRAM Red eTap goes 12-speed appeared first on CyclingTips.
SRAM Red eTap Front Derailleur Silver/Black Braze-On
- Pull Type: top
- Mount: braze-on, clamp adaptor
- Gearing: 2 x 12
- Compatibility: Red eTap shift lever, Red eTap rear derailleur, Red crankset, Force crankset, Rival crankset
- Claimed Weight: [with battery] 0.71 pounds
SRAM Red eTap Shifter
SRAM Red eTap and AXS Battery and Battery Charger (Battery Included)
- Compatibility: SRAM AXS components
- Claimed Weight: 24 g
- Recommended Use: cycling
- Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years
SRAM Red eTap Rear Derailleur One Color Medium Cage
- Material: [cages] carbon fiber, [pulleys] ceramic
- Pull Type: Exact Actuation
- Cage Length: short, medium
- Capacity: [short] 28 t, [medium] 32 t
- Compatibility: SRAM Red eTap, PowerdomeX cassettes, PowerGlide cassettes
SRAM Xg-1190-A2 11-28T Cassette
- Hollow steel Dome makes for the stiffest gear cluster ever at the lightest weight
- Heat-treated, high-grade tool steel provides excellent durability and a beautiful finish
- Stealth ring elastomers and advanced tooth profiles eliminate vibration and noise for a smooth, silent ride
- Aluminum Cog: lighter, stiffer, and stronger due to the design, material, and production process
Force eTap AXS Electronic Road Groupset
- eTap AXS Electronic Groupset
- Kit-In-A-Box Group
- Disc Set
Cycling is a great way to lose weight and burn fat. This is my way of keeping fit, especially throughout the summer when being out on a gravel bike combines fresh air and forest trails for maximum effect.
|Top||SRAM Red eTap Road WiFli Kit: Medium Cage Rear Derailleur, Front Derailleur, Shift/Brake Levers||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Red eTap AXS 2X Flat Mount HRD Electronic Groupset: Brake/Shift Levers, Front and Rear Disc Calipers, Front and Rear Derailleurs||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Red eTap AXS Shift/Brake System Black/Grey, Left/Front, Post Mount||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Red eTap AXS Rear Derailleur Black, Short Cage||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Red AXS Dub 12-Speed Power Meter Crankset Natural Carbon, 172.5mm, 48/35t||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Unisex’s Kit Dm Axs D1 (Powermeter Including Chainring) Power Meters, Polar Grey, 48-35T||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Red eTap AXS Shifter Black, Left/Front||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS Upgrade Kit – Rear Derailleur, Battery, Eagle AXS Controller w/Clamp, Charger/Cord||Prime||Buy Now|
|SRAM Red eTap AXS 1x Flat Mount HRD Electronic Groupset: Brake/Shift Levers, Front and Rear Disc Calipers, Rear Derailleur, D1||Prime||Buy Now|